Thursday, January 12, 2012

Nue Yir

First of all, I resolve to stop spelling it that way. I'm annoyed at my own title. If it were someone else's title, we'd no longer be friends. Stop be so pretentious...me!

So, how this whole 2012 thing going for you so far? Pretty good? It is the last year of the world, you know. That Mayan calendar totally ends in December, and those guys were fantastic at predicting the future. Other than that thing with the Spaniards, I mean.

Anyway. Wouldn't you like to know what my resolutions are? No? Good point. Let's talk about something else.

A few weeks ago I saw a status on my facebook feed about someone having met a goal of "reading 80 books this year!" and I got to wondering how many books I had read this year. I can't tell for certain, because I can't remember them all, but judging by my Kindle and the few non-Kindle books I do remember reading this year, it's somewhere between 115 and 120 books, and that's not counting those that I read more than once. I so want to be proud of that number. That's roughly a book every three days, and given that I have a full time job, well...that has to make me some kind of reading-hero, right?

The problem is that of those 115-120 books, only about a third of them were worth reading. Maybe I'm being too harsh there, possibly half were worth it. Does it really matter? Either way I am wasting far too much time reading young adult fiction about trolls. Yes, trolls. I know, what was I thinking? I don't know! It must have been a freebee. Actually, the price is an issue. If you read as much as I do then paying more than $2 for a book sort of matters. Do the math people, how much would you guess I spend on reading materials in a year? Lots, that's how much. Please don't alert my husband to this fact. Actually, I just did. Cool it, Awesome face, remember who it was that bought me this kindle? That's right! This is entirely your fault! Make me a sandwich!

However, on the flip side, that also means I read at least 40 books worth reading this year. So, if you think about it...I still read like 80 losers. This has to stop. I'd like 2012 to be the year in which that ratio changes. This year I am only going to read 40 loser books! Hah, you just read about my resolution after all. Sneak attack!

Also, after we set that resolution about doing an hour of "something active" last year, Mr. Awesome and I promptly forgot it. We still did active things, but the resolution was entirely pointless (as all New Year resolutions are, but we've had this talk before). Also we learned that it's not so much the time and consistency of the activity that bother us. It's all the things we want to do together that we either forget about or just don't make time for that we regret. So this year we made a list of things we want to do together, whenever we want and in whatever order. I'm not calling it a resolution, so much as a good idea. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a free book about...I dunno, fairies?...waiting to be read. Those 40 loser books don't read themselves, folks. (Unless they do, in which case that's creepy...and the plot to a bad book I'm sure.)